L293D Motor Driver IC L293 DIP/SOP Push-Pull Four-Channel Stepper Chip
L293D IC generally comes as a standard 16-pin DIP (dual-in line package). This motor driver IC can simultaneously control two small motors in either direction; forward and reverse with just 4 microcontroller pins (if you do not use enable pins). Some of the features (and drawbacks) of this IC are:
- Output current capability is limited to 600mA per channel with peak output current limited to 1.2A (non-repetitive). This means you cannot drive bigger motors with this IC. However, most small motors used in hobby robotics should work. If you are unsure whether the IC can handle a particular motor, connect the IC to its circuit and run the motor with your finger on the IC. If it gets really hot, then beware… Also note the words “non-repetitive”; if the current output repeatedly reaches 1.2A, it might destroy the drive transistors.
- Supply voltage can be as large as 36 Volts. This means you do not have to worry much about voltage regulation.
- L293D has an enable facility which helps you enable the IC output pins. If an enable pin is set to logic high, then state of the inputs match the state of the outputs. If you pull this low, then the outputs will be turned off regardless of the input states
- The datasheet also mentions an “over temperature protection” built into the IC. This means an internal sensor senses its internal temperature and stops driving the motors if the temperature crosses a set point
- Another major feature of L293D is its internal clamp diodes. This flyback diode helps protect the driver IC from voltage spikes that occur when the motor coil is turned on and off (mostly when turned off)
- The logical low in the IC is set to 1.5V. This means the pin is set high only if the voltage across the pin crosses 1.5V which makes it suitable for use in high frequency applications like switching applications (upto 5KHz)
- Lastly, this integrated circuit not only drives DC motors, but can also be used to drive relay solenoids, stepper motors etc.
What you will receive:
L293D Motor Driver IC L293 DIP/SOP Push-Pull Four-Channel Stepper Chip, quantity as required